It is officially fall, but we still have plenty of time to grill. Zucchini, yellow squash, onions, mushrooms, are in season and of course, you can still get your hands on asparagus. Not only do they make a beautiful presentation for guests, they are simple and extremely delicious. The onions take the longest. I think it best to cut the onion into wedges and skewer. They cook evenly and they won’t fall through the grill so easily. Balsamic vinegar compliments grilled vegetables nicely. I’ve included a nice vinaigrette recipe that is wonderful on salad and will add a burst of flavor to your grilled vegetable bounty. Serve with simple steamed brown rice, grilled steak, chicken, or fish. Delicious, simple, and healthy.
Grilled Assorted Vegetables
1 lb. button mushrooms
2 large onions, cut in half, then into wedges
2-3 small zucchini, cut lenghwise into quarters
2-3 small yellow squash, cut lengthwise into quarters
1 small bunch of asparagus with the tough ends snapped off
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dijon mustard or 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon granulated onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup olive oil
1) Give the mushrooms a quick rinse and drain well. Toss into a large bowl. Add onion wedges. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper. Skewer mushrooms and onions on their own skewers. Set aside.
2) Place prepared zucchini and yellow squash on a large platter, drizzle with olive oil to coat and season with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat. Do the same with the asparagus.
3) Grill the skewered onions and the mushrooms first. The onions will take about 20 minutes, the mushrooms about 10. Turn often. Place on platter when done.
4) Grill the zucchini and yellow squash. Cook on each side 3-4 minutes. (cook on all 3 sides) Grill asparagus for about 4-5 minutes, rolling on grill often. Arrange vegetables on a serving platter.
5) Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together until well blended. Drizzle a couple of tablespoons over the grilled vegetables. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 6-8 servings.