Cod is a very mild and flaky fish. I buy it frozen because it is flash frozen right after it is caught. It is the best way to buy fish in the midwest. As always, refrigeration thawing is the best, it will take about 24 hours. You can also defrost in a bowl in the sink under slowly running water. It will take about an hour this way. It doesn’t last long frozen, so use it up within a couple of weeks after you buy it.
This is an excellent and easy way to prepare cod. My boys devour it! I love the tarter sauce, I cut the mayonnaise with some fat free yogurt, you cannot tell the difference, it’s very good!
Crunchy Cod with Tarter Sauce
4 6 oz. pieces of cod
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup saltine crackers, coarsely crushed
¼ cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup plain non fat yogurt
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1) Line a cookie sheet with Reynold’s non-stick foil. Preheat oven to 400’.
2) Rinse cod and dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
3) In a small microwavable bowl, add butter and olive oil. Microwave until butter is melted. Whisk in Dijon mustard and cayenne.
4) In a medium size bowl, add cracker crumbs.
5) Using a pastry brush, generously coat each piece of fish with the butter mixture. Coat fish with the cracker crumbs, pressing crumbs into fish to coat. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
6) Bake for 15-18 minutes. While fish is baking, mix sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve immediately. Enjoy!