Rapini is also known as Italian broccoli. It’s a little bitter and requires blanching. Blanching is quick, partial cooking and then immediately plunged into cold water to stop the cooking. This removes the bitterness of the vegetable. It is now ready for a quick saute with lots of garlic and red pepper flakes. Add to hot linguine and top with fresh grated Parmesan and you have a delicious vegetarian main dish. I’ve added garbanzo beans, omit if you wish.
Here we go…
Start by putting a very large pot of water on the stove to boil. Add a teaspoon of salt.
Rapini somewhat resembles broccoli but is actually in the turnip family. It’s very leafy and has broccoli like crowns throughout.
Trim about an inch off the bottom.
Chop the rapini in 1″ increments.
Soak the chopped rapini in cold water for about 5 minutes. Drain.
Add the chopped and cleaned rapini to the salted boiling water. Fill a large bowl with cold water and add a hand full of ice cubes. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the blanched rapini from the pot right into the bowl of cold water.
Now for the seasonings. You’ll need some olive oil, a couple of cloves of fresh garlic, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt.
You’ll also need a can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the olive oil, red pepper flakes, and fresh garlic to the hot skillet. Saute for a couple of minutes.
Add the drained rapini. Season with kosher salt. Saute for about 3 minutes.
Add the garbanzo beans and cook another 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately with a wedge of fresh lemon. Healthy and delicious!
Spicy Rapini with Olive Oil and Garlic
1 bunch fresh rapini
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
1 14 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 pinches of kosher salt
1) Trim an inch off of the bottom of the rapini. Put a large pot of water to boil on the stove, add 1 teaspoon of salt.
2) Chop the rappini in one inch increments. Submerge in cold water to soak and clean. Drain.
3) Add cleaned rapini to the boiling water. Cook about 3 minutes. While rapini is cooking, fill a large bowl with cold water and a handful of ice cubes.
4) When rapini is done, remove with a slotted spoon and put into the ice water. Drain well.
5) Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes cook for a couple of minutes. Add rapini and cook for about 3 minutes. Add drained garbanzo beans and cook for an additiona 3 minutes. Enjoy immediately.