I’m crazy about eggplant. This is my version of eggplant parmesan, only a little prettier. I’ve coated white and purple eggplant with Italian bread crumbs and fresh grated parmesan, fried it in olive oil, and layered it with fresh mozzarella and topped it with fresh marinara sauce.
I came across white eggplant and was very intrigued, I had to buy it! I did not notice a difference in taste between the white and the purple. When buying eggplant, you’ll want to pick out eggplant that is firm and is free of bruises.
A must in the preparation of eggplant is to remove the bitterness and excess moisture by lightly salting it and allowing it to sit on paper towels for 20-30 minutes. Blot off the liquid that accumulates with paper towel. This will keep the eggplant from absorbing too much oil when cooking.
I LOVE parmigiano reggiano cheese. It has a rich nutty flavor. I buy it in a chunk and cut it into 1/2″ pieces, then into the blender for perfectly grated cheese.
Beat a couple of eggs in a bowl with a little water into one bowl, and Italian bread crumbs and parmigiano reggiano into the other.
Add 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and mix well.
Dip the eggplant into the egg first, then into the bread crumb mixture, coat well.
Heat skillet over medium heat until very hot and add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, swirel around the pan and add the eggplant, cook until nicely browned.
The eggplant is equally delicious plain! Enjoy!
Eggplant Parmesan With Fresh Mozzarella and Marinara Sauce
2 medium size eggplant, sliced into 1/4″ rounds
1 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesano reggiano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 eggs, beaten well
2 tablespoons water
8 ounces fresh mozzarella
2 cups Marinara sauce or your favorite bottled sauce
1) Slice the eggplant in 1/4″ slices, lightly coat both sides of the eggplant with table salt and place on a layer of paper towel. Allow to stand for about 30 minutes. Blot the eggplant with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
2) Combine the bread crumbs, parmigiano cheese, and black pepper in another dipping bowl.
3) Beat the eggs and water in a dipping bowl.
4) Dip the eggplant into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture, coat well.
5) Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat until very hot. Add enough olive oil to coat the pan. Fry each piece of eggplant in olive oil until nicely browned. You will have to add more olive oil to the pan with each batch.
6) Layer thin slices of mozzarella cheese between the cooked eggplant. Top with warm marinara sauce. Garnish with a fresh sprig of basil. (optional) Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings.