I am delighted to share my latest healthy vegetarian recipe! Why not make ahead for your next dinner party? Simply pop them into the oven about an hour before you want to serve. Serve with a nice salad my simple garlic bread. So good.
The recipe is large, it makes 16 rolls. One roll will only cost you 5 Weight Watcher’s points, so worth it! Freeze leftovers for another time or enjoy for lunches during the week. You will need a batch of marinara sauce or you can use your favorite bottled sauce.
Veggie Lasagna Rolls
1 package lasagna noodles (14-16 pieces)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
1 medium zucchini, trimmed and grated
1 medium yellow squash, trimmed and grated
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
16 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
3-4 cups marinara sauce or your favorite bottled sauce
4 ounces mozzarella cheese
1) Boil the lasagna noodles according to the package directions, undercooking by 2 minutes. Drain and rinse. Carefully lay them out flat until it’s time to use them. Refrigerate if you’re going to use them later.
2) Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the chopped onion and red pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the shredded zucchini and the yellow squash. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Pour into a large bowl to cool.
3) Once the veggie mixture is cool, add the ricotta cheese and the egg. Mix well to combine.
4) Preheat the oven to 350′. Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray. (You may need an additional dish) Spread about 1 cup of the marinara sauce over the bottom of the pan.
5) At one end of the lasagna noodle, place about 1/3 cup of the veggie/cheese mixture and carefully roll the noodle completely around the filling. Place in the baking dish seam side down. Stuff the rest of the noodles. Pour additional sauce over the rolled and stuffed noodles. Top with mozzarella cheese.
6) Bake for 40-45 minutes. Makes 16 rolls.
*Extend the baking time by 10-15 minutes if you make them ahead and they’re cold.
***Use any vegetables you like. If you use mushrooms, be sure to cook the moisture out of them.
Have a healthy day!