Here’s the menu from last night’s appetizer party. I like to print out what I’m serving. I think it’s nice for guests to know what they have to look forward to. It can also keep you on task with what you’re serving.
I saw Ina Garten prepare this appetizer recipe on Food Network. So simple that I didn’t need her exact recipe. I think she used a thinly sliced deli ham in hers. I choose to use spiral cut smoked ham because I had some on hand. Either one works very well.
The beauty of this appetizer is that you can make it ahead and simply warm it in the oven for 12-15 minutes before serving. It is equally delicious at room temperature. You could also bake it before guests arrive, time it so you take it out a few minutes before they’re due to arrive. That way your house will smell amazing when your guests arrive and you’ll be ready to serve after everyone gets their cocktail. It’s a perfect plan!
Ham & Gruyere in Puff Pastry
2 puff pastry sheets, thawed
8 ounces gruyere swiss cheese, shredded or 12 slices
1/3-1/2 cup dijon mustard
1/2 lb. smoked ham, sliced thin (deli ham or off the bone)
1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
1) Preheat the oven to 375′. Defrost the puff pastry according to package directions.
2) Dust the counter top with flour and place the puff pastry sheet over it. Lightly flour your rolling pin and gently roll out the dough into a 12 x 18″ rectangle (approximately). Place the dough on a large parchment lined cookie sheet.
3) Spread an even layer of dijon mustard over the dough leaving a 1/2″ border. Layer the ham evenly over the pastry. Top evenly with the shredded or sliced gruyere cheese.
4) Roll out the second piece of dough the same size as the first one. Brush the outer edge of the base puff pastry with the egg wash. Top with the rolled out puff pastry and press the edges together with your fingers. Using a fork, press around the entire outer edge of the dough. Poke 6 holes in the top of the puff pastry to release air while baking. Brush the entire pastry with egg wash.
5) Place in the preheated oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes. The crust should be beautifully golden brown. Allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes minutes before serving.